Wednesday, October 29, 2014

How to Dry Herbs from The New American Herbal By: Grace Bonney

3838_Orr_herbbook-4331

This week I had to break out my winter coat for the first time and find a hat to keep my ears warm while walking Hope. Even though we’re still getting the odd 70-degree day here and there, it feels like winter is slowly creeping closer to us. Part of me loves the cold and the way it seems to lovingly nudge us to slow down, cuddle up and get cozy and eat something warm and filling. But another part of me laments how all of the green things around me slowly start to wither away and die outside. I’ve been trying to find more ways to keep plants and herbs a bigger part of my life in the winter, so this year I’m making a big effort to dry herbs at home.


newamericanherbal_08

Inspired by Stephen Orr’s excellent new book, The New American Herbal , I’ve been bookmarking techniques for quick and easy herb-drying that lets you continue to use them throughout the year, whether it’s for tea and meals or homemade tinctures and remedies. I managed to keep a few thriving herb plants this year so I’m excited to try some of Stephen’s methods, from hang-drying to tossing them in the oven for a bit. I had so much fun trying these out that I asked Stephen if we could share his herb-drying tips here today and he kindly obliged. I hope you’ll try them out and see if you can find some ways to incorporate home-dried herbs in your winter life this year, too. Also, if you haven’t checked out The New American Herbal , I can’t recommend it more highly. I have just about every other page tagged with a note. It’s packed full of useful, easy-to-follow and truly fascinating information about how powerful herbs really are. Click here to check out Stephen’s interview with Max on D*S about the book. xo, grace


416_Orr_drying 3352_Orr_herbbook-3756 4287_Orr_herbbook-4902 3838_Orr_herbbook-4331 420_Orr_drying

Click through for all 5 drying techniques after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1tixKa4 From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment