Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Life & Business: Hannah Trickett By: Sabrina Smelko

HannahT_Life&Biz

When a chronic medical issue forced her to leave a busy job as an interior designer, Hannah Trickett rose to the challenge and started Hannah in the House, a blog about all things interiors and design, from her hospital bed. In the face of adversity, Hannah refused to to give up and believe that a simpler life meant one without creativity, design and stylish interiors. Since she launched her blog over five years ago, it’s become a full-time job for Hannah, which has also branched into freelance styling and design consulting. Today, ever-exuberant Hannah is chatting with us about how to persevere in the face of struggle, and the importance of valuing yourself and focusing on your strengths. –Sabrina

Photography by Ola O Smit

Why did you decide to start your own business?

I was working as an interior designer at a high-end studio in London, designing for some amazing projects in the most luxurious properties I’ve ever seen. The idea of starting my own business wasn’t something that I had initially planned as I was happy in my job. Unfortunately I was faced with some serious health problems, so I had to leave full-time work and focus on my health.

Since the age of 13, I’ve lived with a condition called Hydrocephalus, and this wasn’t a problem until 2009 when I had to step away from the design work. Once I left the studio I had a number of tests and found that my shunt, a valve that regulates pressure in the brain, was broken and needed to be replaced.

After having the brain surgery in 2010 I had to spend most of my time bed-bound or slumped on the sofa. Being a busy interior designer prior, the transition to sitting and doing nothing wasn’t something I felt comfortable with.

I decided to start a blog from my hospital bed with the desire to continue to share my passion for creativity and design in a way that I could manage. Over the past five years I’ve had seven additional brain surgeries, so the freedom of being my own boss means the world to me.

Textiles-styling

When you first decided to start your own business, how did you define what your business would be?

Defining exactly what I was going to talk about and share was initially quite tricky as I felt like I wanted to share everything! Styling products and interiors for my blog was a priority alongside having fun with creative projects. Being half Danish, I have a great love for Scandinavian design, and I wanted this to come across in my work, too. Naming the blog was pretty simple as I spend most of my time in the house and love interiors — I called it Hannah in the house.

What was the best piece of business advice you were given when you were starting off?

Focus your business on what you love and are passionate about. If you really love what you do, it shows through your work. Try not to juggle too much at once, this can be overwhelming and you may affect the quality of work that you produce.

What was the most difficult part of starting your business?

Valuing my worth. I still struggle with this, maybe it’s because I find the subject of money really awkward. What I have come to realize is that even though I may be a small business now, my time is valuable and I shouldn’t feel embarrassed about asking to be paid.

I’ve been approached by a number of companies offering money for me to promote their products that don’t fit within my blog or design style. It’s really frustrating when you’re starting out and don’t have much revenue as these dangling carrots can be quite tempting. Unless it fits with your business then it’s best to say no.

Hannah one week post opImage above: Hannah, one week after her brain surgery, with her cat, Hansel.

Can you name the biggest lesson you’ve learned in running a business?

Being myself and sticking to my personal style is key to keeping the integrity of my business. I’m constantly inspired by other bloggers and stylists, however, I’m ashamed to say that I was falling into the trap of emulating them. I think that may have come down to a lack of confidence when I started out.

What has been the biggest sacrifice you’ve made in starting your business?

Oh, my social life! That’s for sure. Working from home is a luxury, however, it’s very isolating and time consuming, there’s no 9-5 when starting a business. My cat Hansel is amazing but he is my social life, so sad but true. It’s worth it, though; I’m happy to do what I love with Hansel by my side.

Hannah recent office

Has failing at something or quitting ever led to success for you? Walk us through that.

I’ve spent more time than I’d like in the hospital, and each time that I’ve had to stop working makes me feel like a failure. Having fought so hard physically, this feeling has become a driving force for making my own business. There’s been a lot of trial and error and realizing that I can’t do everything. It’s quite hard to admit but it’s important to know your limitations.

In your opinion, what are the top three things someone should consider before starting their own business?

Research

Research your market,  know your competition. This can help you work out how to make your business unique and noticeable.

Network

This may sound like old business talk but networking does help. I’ve met some great people by joining in  sharing images on Instagram and blog posts via hashtags such as #stylingtheseasons and #urbanjunglebloggers. I do encourage bloggers to join in group hashtags, they’re brilliant. You can learn so much by just chatting to other people in your industry and maybe make some friends.

Have fun!

If you don’t have fun and don’t enjoy what you’re doing, then it’s not worth it. Make sure your business will keep your interests alive.

Are you creatively satisfied?

Nope, and I don’t think I ever will be, but that’s a good thing. Finding inspiration and new creative ideas is so exciting to me that I would never want it to end. It would be quite tragic if I was satisfied and complacent — I think I’d get pretty bored. Life needs to stay exciting and keep moving, that’s why we’re here, right?!

What are you currently working on?

I have so many ideas I don’t know where to start. I’m currently working on lots more styling shots, collaborations and projects that I hope will continue to grow my business.












via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1LqLzia From Sabrina Smelko

No comments:

Post a Comment