I used to live in a very new and stylish apartment that had a massive island bench (220cm x 90cm), but then I moved to one which had the same layout but not the bench. Both me and my housemate prepare a lot of meals throughout the week and required a space to do this, as well as storage. Everything I looked at was either expensive or not practical. The closest thing I could utilise was IKEA’s own Stenstorp Kitchen Island but it was small (120cm x 79cm) and expensive (AU $499) so I decided to try and make my own. After searching through this website, I couldn’t find anything that would work for me so decided to make my own.
So, here is the finished product…
Finished Product Notes:
No power tools required!
1x Kallax Shelving Unit (2×4) – white (AU $75) – Article No: 102.758.95
1x Linnmon Table Top (150cm x 75cm) – black/brown (AU $55) – Article No: 902.513.53
1x Set Capita Legs (6cm) – pack of 4, silver (AU $20) - Article No: 302.730.32
2x Olov Adjustable-height legs – silver (AU $12.50 each) - Article No: 202.666.78
4x Kallax Inserts with Doors – white OR black/brown (AU $15 each) NOTE: The black/brown insert with door comes with a brown insert. - White Insert Article No: 402.781.66; Black/Brown Insert Article No: 402.781.71
3x Packs of Liquid Nails (Selleys, but anything similar can be used – AU $35) – Available at any hardware store
- Build the Kallax shelving unit as instructed in the included paperwork
- Attach the Capita Legs on each corner. The Kallax wood is quite soft so you can use the included screws and a screw driver to put them in.
- Attach the 2 height adjustable Olov legs to one side of the Linnmon table top. This comes with the holes already made, so you just need to position it properly and screw it in, again, no power tools required.
- Adjust the height on the adjustable legs, can also be done later
- Apply glue/liquid nails on the Kallax shelving unit, it’s important to follow the instructions as described on the packaging. This can vary depending on what kind of adhesive you are using.
- Position and attach the table top to the Kallax storage unit, allow for adhesive to dry before moving unit.
- Build the Kallax inserts with doors as described. NOTE: For my original design I used 4 white inserts with doors, but later changed ONLY the doors to black/brown. This did cost me an extra AU $60, but I retained the white insert with the black/brown doors. See images.
Step 2 – attaching the Capita Legs to the Kallax shelving unit
Step 3 – attaching the height adjustable Olov legs to the Linnmon table top
Finished product with white Kallax inserts with doors – FRONT
Finished product with white Kallax inserts with doors – BACK
Total cost – AU $265
The post Cheap, Stylish IKEA designed Kitchen Island Bench for under $300! appeared first on IKEA Hackers.
via IKEA Hackers http://ift.tt/1SOBFpx From iceman004