Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Rast Bedside Tables into Standing Desk with Storage trays By: lalangri

rast table2


I was starting school again this year and was on the look out for a desk I would be able to work at while standing up. I do a lot of work on the computer as well as drawing by hand and wanted to be able to be on my feet or sitting while working.


Materials:



  • 4x RAST nightstand

  • 1x LINMON table top 200 x 60 cm

  • 1x FRANKLIN bar stool

  • Two trays 35 x 35 cm (not from Ikea)


I found that the height of two RAST nightstands turned on their ends (52cm each) is the perfect height for a standing table. I drilled three new holes in each side piece in order to move the bottom piece to the edge of the box. I also glued thin wood strips to the sides of the RAST to support the white trays I had found elsewhere. I made sure the height of the trays would allow for folders to fit below.


Desk-03


rast table4


rast table3


I stacked the nightstands and tabletop without any fasteners and the desk is fairly stable while pushed against a wall. If you would like a more stable desk, it may be a good idea to fasten the table top and the RASTs together.


rast table1


The desk is tall enough that I can see the underside of the tabletop while seated on my bed. I was considering painting the bottom a bright colour but haven’t gotten around to it yet. The chair is also slightly short for the desk but I wasn’t able to find anything taller. I only added the trays on the one side in order to use the larger cubbies on the other for my backpack and other larger items.


…now if only I could get some real work done….







via IKEA Hackers http://ift.tt/1rWv7dt From lalangri

No comments:

Post a Comment