Tuesday, May 6, 2014

kneadtomake By: Grace Bonney

Robins Egg Cake

I love very few things in life more than cake. You know how people sometimes ask you that question about what you would bring on a desert island? My answer is simple: I would bring cake. It’s the fastest way to my heart and always makes me smile. But as much as I love cake, I’ve never been able to click with the overly perfect, fondant-smothered wedding cakes that seemed to dominate the wedding world for the past few decades. Thankfully the realm of wedding desserts, along with wedding flowers, seems to be evolving toward designs that are fresher, looser and more organic.


DS_photo

cake_3

One of my favorite people working in this newer area of more natural-looking wedding designs is designer and baker Cathy Haebe of kneadtomake. I first discovered her work through Instagram and became an insta-fan. I love the way she experiments with subtle textures and patterns that mimic watercolor, speckled Robin’s eggs and subtle, hand-piped shapes. In addition to her own work with kneadtomake, Cathy also collaborates with Lizzy McGinn of Saturday Flowers and stylist/photographer Natalie Nakai on a project called flour and fleur, which focuses on integrating fresh flowers into wedding cakes (Like the Robin’s egg blue cake above). Everything that comes out of Cathy’s San Francisco kitchen oozes the sort of elevated homemade look and feel that I adore – especially for a big day like a wedding. (She says she prefers to “use ingredients and decorations that are meant to be beautiful and delicious in the moment, not to be preserved in time.”)


I decided to find out more about Cathy’s work, inspiration and process and she graciously agreed to share her background and goals with me. From her first job at her aunt and uncle’s ice cream shop in New Jersey to her current baking club, Cathy has surrounded herself with a wide variety of inspiration and – most importantly – good friends. With that sort of love and support behind her, it’s no wonder her work looks so delicious and approachable. Thanks to Cathy for chatting with me today and sharing such beautiful designs with all of us online. xo, grace


Portrait of Cathy by Natalie Nakai


photo IMG_1199_2 image (3) IMG_7374_copy DSC_0475 arrow_2 IMG_0694 IMG_1081 as Smart Object-1 martyna_1 cake_3

Click through for Cathy’s interview and more photos of her work (and her collaborations with Natalie and Lizzy) after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1fMjjYz From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment