Thursday, May 8, 2014

A Day In The Life of Shelley of Vitrified Studio By: Grace Bonney

9 vase with flowers

One of the things I like to take note of when I visit other bloggers’ homes is what pieces they choose to actually buy out of everything they cover online. I went through a phase where I ordered a lot of things I actually wrote about, but over the past four years, I’ve only purchased a small handful of new things to bring home. And out of that small handful, two pieces were from Vitrified Studio.


shelley and lily

Artist Shelley Martin is the creative force behind Vitrified Studio. Based in Portland, Oregon, Shelly creates handmade vases and vessels that celebrate the simple beauty of a well-made object. I love her vases (one of them is always on our table with flowers in it) not only for their clean lines and pleasing shapes, but for their beautifully contrasting hues. Shelley never goes overboard with trendy colors or patterns – she focuses on contrasting matte/shiny white or black glazes and occasionally highlights some beautiful speckled neutrals that are guaranteed to be pieces you hold on to for years and years to come. Shelley echoes that sentiment of tradition on her site where she explains that she, “really love[s] that I am merely continuing a tradition that has been going on for thousands of years, making simple pots formed with my hands and clay, on the potter’s wheel.” She’s found the beauty in that simple tradition and does it proud. I’m so thrilled to share a peek inside her daily life here on the site today, whether she’s walking the dogs or firing vases in her backyard studio. Thanks to Shelly for this peek inside…xo, grace


1 chicken 2 2 thank you 3 throwing 4 studio shelves 5 lunch 6 alberta park 7 kiln before firing 11 msa storefront 12 rainbow 10 wholesale order

Click through for the full post after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1s7ecSV From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment