Thursday, December 4, 2014

KALLAX Workstation Extraordinaire By: Jules IKEAHacker

kallax workstation1


Items Used:

2 – Vika Amon / Tornliden table top

2 – Kallax 4 cube

2 – Kallax drawer unit

8 – 3″ locking casters / wheels

1 – 6′ zinc brace


I choose to stand at work because it makes me feel infinitely more productive. Our department recently moved into a new building and we had the opportunity to design our own spaces. I had a few Vika Amon tables laying around (literally) and liked the style of the Kallax bookshelves. This was almost perfect, but the I still needed more height. Unfortunately, our “local” store (175 miles away) was out of the Kallax casters, so I had to get some from the local home improvements store. Turns out a standard 3″ caster was perfect to raise the table height to a level that felt comfortable enough to hold all of my non-workstation items (phone, loose papers, coffee mug, etc).


To complete the build, I braced two Vika Amon table tops together using an 11 x 24″ piece of steel that I got from a local welder. Then I secured the tops to the Kallax shelves using 2 1/2″ particle board screws AND a 2″ fender washer. The washer was a very necessary piece, otherwise, the screw would just keep drilling right through and out the top of the desk surface. The casters were attached with 1 1/2″ particle board screws and no washers. Last, I braced the final product to the studs in the back wall with a 6″ zinc plate (~$18 at Lowe’s Depot)


Overall the desk measures 117″ wide x 34″ tall x 31″ deep.


Thanks again to all who inspired this build! if you’d like me to submit additional photos of the build or instructions on how to recreate it, let me know – I’d be happy to do it!


~ Scott Kilmer







via IKEA Hackers http://ift.tt/12Afxwi From Jules IKEAHacker

No comments:

Post a Comment