Wednesday, November 12, 2014

We Want Your Job: Graphic Designer at Madewell By: Grace Bonney

alex_yeske_Ds_header copy

If you looked into my closet right now, you’d find that one out of every three pieces is from Madewell. I don’t own a lot of clothes, so when I do buy something, I like it to be comfortable and classic, but with a little bit of edge. For that reason, Madewell has been my go-to for a long time and seems to be one of the companies I’m asked about the most these days. Namely, I get emails from people asking how to get a job there and if I know anyone who can help them find one. I don’t have any inside connections, so I decided to reach out to someone who knows what it’s like to work there and what sort of jobs exist on their team. I find that when a lot of people imagine working for one of their favorite companies, they forget to figure out how their skills could be best applied there. So today I’m excited to be talking to Alex Yeske, an in-house graphic designer at Madewell. While she had dreams of becoming a “waitress in a restaurant where you can roller-skate” as a little girl, Alex grew up and studied communications design in college. She’d long admired and identified with Madewell, and through running her own blog, she made contacts that showed her the types of design (in addition to clothing design) that existed at a fashion company. Then she used her networking skills (more on that after the jump) to secure a position designing all sorts of projects for the company, from contributing to window designs and posters to city guides that accompany new shop openings. I love seeing the wide range of design options at any company and I’m so excited to share another perspective on working in the creative community today. Thanks so much to Alex (you can follow her here on Instagram) for sharing her story and advice with us! xo, grace


Every career looks great on the outside, but when you’re really in it you learn the behind-the-scenes hard work that comes along with them. You have to really love what you’re doing to get through the mundane parts.” -Alex Yaske


AlexYeskeDesignSponge-42b alexdesk_main AlexYeskeDesignSponge-54 AlexYeskeDesignSponge-71 AlexYeskeDesignSponge-19

Click through for the full interview after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1sE0lUN From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment