Monday, May 19, 2014

Dressing up an Austin Rental with Handmade and Vintage Finds By: Amy Azzarito

1Catelyn

In the past six months, Catelyn Silapachai has gotten married, moved into this apartment in Austin and started a business with her brother, Clif. Catelyn likes to fill her home with the special things she finds while traveling, along with vintage treasures and meaningful art. She and her brother turned their shared passion for discovering great things into a business, The Distillery Austin. The Distillery sells vintage goods, work by local artists and handmade, artisanal items that they find on their voyages. Catelyn’s home is an extension of her shop’s aesthetic. When looking for a place to rent, the most important priority was a decently sized backyard for their two retired racing Greyhounds, Reagan and Angelo. Because Catelyn likes to showcase her curios, she keeps the furniture neutral and basic, leaving the space looking open and uncluttered. The result is a clean backdrop for all her bright, colorful finds. Thanks, Catelyn and Komson and thanks to Clif for the lovely photos! -Amy


Image above: Since we rent our home and couldn’t make any permanent changes, like removing the carpet, I covered as much of it as possible with huge jute rugs (from Overstock). The kitchen table and chairs were very inexpensive Craigslist finds. I love how light and airy they look in our dining room. The painting is my brother Clif’s work. I wanted to hang it over the table where I have breakfast, because it makes me feel ready to tackle the day.


4Catelyn

Image above: This Ikea shelf has been with me a long time. It’s so basic and fits into any nook. The colorful rug is from World Market. The flower vases are vintage – I love decorating with vintage glassware in interesting tones and shapes. I am also very into brass right now; I buy a lot of vintage brass items for my shop and I have a few little things that I love in my home, like this swan mail rack. The painting is of Madrid’s Gran Via. My parents bought it for me in Spain when I was 18. Clif and I later studied abroad together in Madrid for a year in college, and I was able to go back later with my husband. To us, Madrid is magic, and I try to surround myself with as many memories as I can.


handwriting


2Catelyn 3Catelyn 5Catelyn 11Catelyn 9Catelyn 8Catelyn 7Catelyn 13Catelyn 12Catelyn 6Catelyn

See more of this Austin home after the jump!

(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1lV3Rcq From Amy Azzarito

No comments:

Post a Comment