Friday, June 19, 2015

Our New Book + Best of the Web By: Grace Bonney

ds_womensbook
A few years ago, after our first book came out, we sat down with our publisher to plan the second. The idea was to do something about crafts or DIY. Then a few months went by…and then a year. I found myself putting it off over and over until I realized that something just wasn’t right. The concept wasn’t clicking and it wasn’t triggering that part of me that can work nonstop if I feel passionate about something. The internet is flooded with craft ideas (we have a lot of them here already) and I felt like what I really wanted to do was devote myself to creating a book that would make a difference. Something that would inspire creative people to start their own businesses, get through tough times, and show readers examples of people who reminded them of themselves, no matter their age or stage of their career. So I pitched a Hail Mary and proposed, at the last minute, a completely new book to my editor. And then the greatest thing happened: she agreed.

So for the next three months, Kelli (our trusted team manager and copy editor) and I are working together on what is, without a doubt, the most important project I’ve ever done in my career — maybe even my life. This book, which will be out Fall 2016, will deliver inspiration and advice from 100 creative women and their workspaces. We will be traveling to photograph 100 women in their chosen workspaces (from movie studios and TV sets to artist lofts, home offices and cubicles) to talk about how they do what they do, why they do it and what advice they want to give to the next generation of women in the creative community.

Why women? There are a lot of reasons, but mainly because under 30% of the companies in the US are owned by women. And I’d like to see that change. I want to see women following their dreams, their passions, and leading the way for other young women to see that starting your own business and paving your own path is a real and viable option.

But this book won’t be a traditional business book. For starters, this book aims to showcase and represent the true diversity of our community. Over 60% of the book will be comprised of women of color, women of the LGBT community and women over 60 — all of whom are grossly underrepresented in traditional lifestyle and business books. My goal is to have every person who opens this book be able to see someone they can relate to. So today I wanted to make this exciting announcement and give you a little preview of some of the amazing women who will be in these pages. I know it’s no fun to hear about something you can’t see or hold yet, so I won’t be updating here again until the book is available for pre-order. But if you want to follow the photoshoots and get behind-the-scenes peeks, you can follow me on Instagram as we spend the summer traveling to meet some of the most incredible women. Thank you so much to Artisan Books for supporting me and allowing me to follow my dream. And thanks to Kelli and all of the women who’ve joined on to help in this project. It’s going to be amazing. Until then, have a wonderful weekend and I’ll see you on Monday! xo, grace

bestofweb619

bestofds










via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1Lo3fHD From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment