Thursday, June 18, 2015

Before & After: An Awkward Corner Comes To Life + Pattern DIY By: Caitlin Kelch

About a month ago, Grace invited our team to share our spaces on Design*Sponge so our readers could get to know our team a bit better. While I was excited, the prospect of sharing my home made me kind of queasy. I thought of all the home décor faux pas I was probably guilty of, and the fact that my refrigerator is older than my nine-year-old daughter. Since I work on the business team at Design*Sponge, I am constantly asked by clients if my home is featured on the site. I always chuckle nervously and say that my home is “going through some transitions” and maybe some day it will be featured. I knew I needed help in the home department, so I decided to step out of my comfort zone and consult an expert — Grace Bonney.

Grace has always had a great eye for striking patterns and color, so I asked her to please, please help me save a sad little corner in my kitchen that was being bullied by my teenage fridge. We’d been looking at patterns from the 3M Scotch Blue and Patternbank collaboration and thought my awkward corner would benefit from a strong pattern that would make the space inviting to visit and would encourage productive use. Grace is pretty smart. I never would have thought of that solution!

We were both drawn to the Striking Linework pattern, so we decided to create our version with a cool blue to tame the golds and avocado greens in my 1970s linoleum floors. With such detailed linework in our pattern, it was important that the tape we used maintained a tight seal, was easy to remove and created sharp lines. We had both worked with Scotch Blue tape before so we were confident we had the right materials, and the tapes in different widths made our design much easier to execute. After only a few hours of easy DIY time and a half a roll of Scotch Blue painter’s tape, we transformed not only the corner space, but my entire kitchen.

Thanks to Grace for helping me tackle an eyesore with a bright, easy-to-do solution and to our sponsor, 3M+ Patternbank, for the amazing pattern inspiration! —Caitlin

Materials

We used 3M’s helpful Guide to Taping to guide our project.

*This post is brought to you in collaboration with our sponsor, 3M. Thanks for supporting our sponsors that help us produce original content like this!

 










via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1er4Cet From Caitlin Kelch

No comments:

Post a Comment