Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Built-in Bookshelves with RAST drawer base By: Shannon George

New Shelves 1 (1)


Materials: Two RAST 3-drawer chests


I have always wanted built-in bookshelves. I had intended to do the typical Billy Bookcase hack, but decided I wanted some closed storage and a bit more detail. I got on the IKEA website and found the RAST 3-drawer chest. Just what I needed.


Base of Bookshelves


First I made a small base out of 1×3′s for the chests to sit on. After building the chests, I built a small shelf out of 1×12′s to span the gap between them. I screwed everything together and secured the entire unit to the wall. I made a new top for the base out of stained 1×3 pine boards. I then made the top unit out of 1×10′s and trimmed it out with 1×2′s and 1×3′s. I dressed it up with a little bead board for good measure and added new hardware on the chests. After all that and a few coats of paint, I have a beautiful new built-in bookshelf with storage that is functional and takes up very little space in my small 10×12 room.


The post Built-in Bookshelves with RAST drawer base appeared first on IKEA Hackers.







via IKEA Hackers http://ift.tt/1Kru3Fc From Shannon George

No comments:

Post a Comment