Monday, September 2, 2013

Master Bedroom Update: The Lion the Witch and the TV Cabinet From noreply@blogger.com (House of Smiths)

Today's Inspiration comes from guest blogger noreply@blogger.com (House of Smiths) Be sure to check out their blog!
Okay, there's no lion or witch, just a TV cabinet... that sort of looks like a wardrobe. Just go with it.



Ladies and Gents, our master bedroom has been a hot mess for quite some time. 6+ years to be exact... but REALLY a half-finished mess for about 7 months now. Even though I'm happy with the white paint, I'm ready for some major decorating and finishing touches in here. The problem has been that a LOT of the custom stuff we want to do in this space costs money, and we've had to save up for it. I'm sure you know how that goes. So slowly, but surely, we've been checking some things off of our list, and one of the first was our new TV cabinet unit that Copper Canyon Design built us.



Originally we had our TV sitting on a small table, and then mounted here on this iiiiiity-biiiity patch of wall, but we hated how much of an eyesore it was, so we wanted to find a better way to store it. After we pulled off the molding around the doors, patched the wall from the TV mount and painted everything white, I got thinking about how great a floor to ceiling cabinet would be in the space.




I called up Jeff at Copper Canyon, who helped us redo our kitchen cabinets, and asked him if he would come out so we could chat about some of the ideas that I had for this space. I wanted a really nice, quality piece, since it would be a permanent fixture in our home. We figured by the time we bought the lumbar, hardware, spent the time figuring out how to build it, had someone professionally paint it with a sprayer so it looked flawless... well, it was just better to have Jeff do it for us.

:)

Once he measured the wall, and I gave him my specifics of what I wanted our custom unit to look like, he came up with this drawing for me.


Whoohoo! I was so excited!

I explained that I wanted legs for the bottom of the cabinet, so that air could pass through freely because of our vent underneath and also because I wanted it to resembled a nice piece of furniture, instead of a bookcase. I also wanted pocket doors on our unit, so that we could push the doors out of the way when they were open, to maximize space when someone was watching a show. The room is REALLY small, so we need as much moving-around area as possible, and if the cabinet doors were to remain open while the TV was in use, there wouldn't be much room to walk between the doors and the end of the bed, especially if we were to get a bed with a foot-board like we had been wanting.

(don't be jealous of our master bedroom size and layout)

>>>insert sarcastic voice here<<<

You can't see it from this drawing above, but I made some modifications to the actual style of the cabinet, so it would go better with the rest of our bedrooms decor. Keep reading, you'll see...



READ THE REST OF THIS POST >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment