Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My Exciting New Project: How to Decorate Better and Save Money From Jackie

Today's Inspiration comes from guest blogger Jackie Be sure to check out their blog!

Jose had already climbed under our fluffy white duvet and fallen half asleep, when I joined him. Instead of slipping under the covers, I shuffled across the top and scooted up next to him with my feet tucked under my bottom and started bouncing up and down. In a half-hearted attempt to acknowledge me, he mumbled, “What?”

Just as his eyes slipped shut again, I bounced again higher and blurted out, “I’m releasing my first book next month…a BOOK.” I shook his arms trying to get him to join in the excitement. He’d recently reviewed the manuscript for me, so he rolled over and said, “I know honey, that’s great.”

He should know me better by now. A surprise email from my book cover designer spurred my late-night excitement. Inside were the final mockups for my first three books. I was screaming inside with excitement. If the boys weren’t already fast asleep, I probably would have screamed for real. Instead, I nudged him again and waved my phone in his face, pleading, “Look…BOOK COVERS.” He was definitely half a sleep, because he glanced over and exclaimed, “Cute!” Not his typical word choice for describing anything, but there is definitely a cuteness factor for the first book cover.

Suddenly it all felt real. For weeks I’ve poured words onto the page, but it wasn’t until I saw the book cover that all the long hours behind the screen, cramped hands, and strained eyes turned into something more. I had written a book. I also became painfully aware that this was not news to my drowsy husband and it was time to share what I’m working on with someone else.

For the last month, every time I haven’t been able to sleep, I’ve turned to working on my book manuscript. But now it’s out for review with early readers helping me in the editing process. I can’t put my head down and work on it anymore. All I can do is bounce on the bed and tell my half asleep husband how nervous, but excited I am. It’s like I am a little girl again sitting on a juicy secret I can’t possibly keep to myself. (I am the worst secret-keeper when it comes to good news.) I’ve just been waiting for the right time to tell you…or show you.

I’ve worked closely for several weeks with my designer to get the covers just right. It’s been a super fun process. After briefing Kelsey on my ideas and sharing a secret Pinterest board of book covers that inspire me, she crafted three amazing concepts. Seriously, choosing between them was agonizing. They were all so cool in their own way. Just look at this sneak peek…

Although I love them all, I think I always knew instantly which one I wanted to go with. I slept on it anyway. Once I got my final decision back to Kelsey, she tweaked and finalized the cover for the first book. I cannot wait any longer to share it with you.

Without further ado, my first book is Free Decorating: How To Shop Smart, Save Money, and Love Your Home Decor.

New Book: Free Decorating: How to Shop Smart, Save Money, and Love Your Home Decor

How fun is that cover?! Notice the banner at the top? It says Decorator’s Field Guide, because Free Decorating is the first in a series of books I am writing to help you decorate your home. The manuscripts for books #2 and 3 are already underway, but I am not ready to spill those titles just yet. I will give you a peek at the covers…

Can't wait for this book series...Decorator's Field Guides by Jackie Hernandez

Let’s give my cover designer, Kelsey Baldwin of Paperandoats.com, a virtual high-five for those gorgeous jewel-tone colored covers. The cover I chose became the template for all the books in the series and I love the way they turned out.

I am excited to announce my first book, Free Decorating, will be released in May. (Phew, it feels good to get that out and I bet Jose is looking forward to a good nights sleep.) In the next few weeks I’ll have much more to share, but if you want the inside scoop and exclusive updates, sign up for my book insiders list.

No comments:

Post a Comment