Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Tiny PMS Match: A Color Love Story By: Grace Bonney

pantone1

There is no shortage of inspiration on Instagram for me right now. Every day I find something or someone new who I want to interview, work with or just follow online for daily inspiration. One of my current obsessions is the personal project of designer Inka Mathew of Green Ink Studio. Inka created an Instagram page called “Tiny PMS Match” where she matches tiny objects to their corresponding Pantone Matching System (PMS).


pantone2

Similar to working through a paint deck, Inka collects all sorts of unexpected objects, matches them with their PMS and then photographs and uploads them to her Instagram page. So far she’s managed to match the perfect colors for a doll clothespin, holly berries, Leonardo (as in the Mutant Ninja Turtle) candy and an acorn, among other items. I love seeing these tiny bits and pieces against colorful backdrops, so I decided to ask Inka a few questions to learn more about the project and its most challenging aspects (otherwise known as finding a match for her daughter’s goldfish). Thanks so much to Inka for taking the time to chat with me – you can check out her project here on Instagram and here on Tumblr! xo, grace


What inspired this color-themed feed?


My background is print design, so I always have Pantone chips around me, and I love colors. One morning, when I was looking around to see the plants in my front yard, my attention was captured by these intense bright blue little flowers called Veronica Georgia Blue. A question popped in my head, “I wonder what PMS color is that?” The design-geek in me urged me to pick a bloom and try to find a matching Pantone color for it. It was PMS 2726. I took a picture of the little flower on the matching Pantone chip with my iPhone and posted it on Instagram. I was pleasantly surprised by my followers’ reactions when they saw it. Some of them asked me to do other objects. I thought that was a great idea and decided to do so. From then on, I’ve paid attention to the little things around me. I chose objects that either piqued my interest or had personal meaning to me. I wanted all the photos to be consistent, so I created a method on how to take them. I used stacked books to prop my iPhone and dot-grid notebook as the background behind the Pantone chips. After I had around 50 shots, I created a separate Instagram account for it.


Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.58.54 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.59.14 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.59.29 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.59.36 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.57.56 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.56.43 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.56.32 PM Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 3.59.55 PM pantone2 pantone1

Click through for the rest of the interview after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1eQyUAu From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment