Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Rebecca Louise Law By: Grace Bonney

rll

The other day I got a call from a newspaper inviting me to talk about the growing trend toward paper flowers. While I’ve definitely seen a lot of beautiful paper flower tutorials online lately and love the direction in which they’re moving (more sophisticated, life-like styles), I actually felt like the world of real flowers was still gaining traction and holding people’s attention in a big way.


SlideshowGardenMuseum-1080x580-1


While I was researching some examples to send over to the writer, I came across the incredible work of installation artist Rebecca Louise Law. Rebecca grew up in England with a gardener father who encouraged his children to get out and experience how beautiful nature can be. Inspired by a field of flowers that extended as far as she could see, Rebecca decided to explore and recreate that feeling with her site-specific installations of real cut flowers hung from above. The sheer beauty and lushness of her installations are hard to ignore. They exude the sort of drama and grandness that I feel when I’m lucky enough to encounter a field of wild flowers and remind me just what a master nature is on its own. Rebecca has several making-of videos on her site (you can view one above – be sure to keep your volume off if you’re at work), but you can also check out this great behind-the-scenes post from the Laura Ashley blog for more details. I would love to see one of these in person one day and feel what it’s like to have this sort of lushness overhead, rather than underfoot. It must be such an overwhelming feeling of softness and beauty. xo, grace


*Editor’s note: I feel somewhat torn about artwork like this at times. While the majority of cut flowers are used and then tossed after they die, there is an element of this sort of grand-scale installation that nags at me and makes me curious about the flowers once the installation is done. I’m hopeful that any remaining (live) flowers are gifted to people or places that need them most. Though, perhaps their public nature and viewing on a large scale like this ensures more people would see them than if they were used for another smaller event. What are your feelings on this sort of living installation? I’m always curious to hear different viewpoints when it comes to reuse/disposal of installation materials.


Garden_Displayd_Slide-1080x580 Hermes-rex-20121 Maecenas_Diner_2013_Arnaud_Ostrowski-162-1080x580 SlideshowPrometheus-1080x580 chelsea-flower-show-hero

Click through for more images of Rebecca Louise Law’s work after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1eQz0Im From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment