Monday, February 9, 2015

Wall Office with Akurum Kitchen cabinets and Pax sliding doors By: Arctic Surf Designs

Akurum Kitchen cabinets and Pax sliding doors Akurum Kitchen cabinets and Pax sliding doors Akurum Kitchen cabinets and Pax sliding doors


Materials: Akurum High Cabinets and PAX sliding doors


My office was displaced from room to room, so many times, since my twins arrived. All I was left with was a desk the kids loved to crawl on and mess up. I hoped to find some cheap IKEA wardrobes and make an “wall” office. Luckily IKEA was redoing their kitchen line so I snagged two deep Akurum cabinets for $15 and bought 56$ in shelves.


akurumslidingdoors1 akurumslidingdoors2


I wanted secure doors on the cabinets to keep the kids out so I decided to buy a PAX sliding door. After three different IKEA associates told me it wouldn’t fit, I bought the cheapest PAX doors HASVIK 150x201cm or 59″ x79 1/8″ ($93.5 – it was 15% off). The PAX door went on easily. The only 2 issues being:


1) The PAX door width is 1/2 inch less than 2 Akurum cabinets. I just positioned the hanging rail in the middle so that the door would be within 1/4″ on both ends. However in your case you may want to shift the rail to an exposed side. For me the gap was perfect allowing for heat to escape from the 4+ computers and multiple drives in the cabinet.


2) You need to position your bottom shelf such that it lines up with the door bottom rail position. In my case I could only get the shelf within a 1/2″ of the where the slider holder normally goes. But it is s simple matter of drilling the 4 holes 1/2″ lower that the existing holes. I believe it was a standard 10 mm drill bit.


Knowing how well it worked I wished I had bought a nicer sliding PAX door. I left the bottom open to allow easy access to containers. I used 88″ high cabinets with the 79″ doors but it probably would look better with 80″ Akurum cabinets with those doors. I bought 2 sliding child proof locks from Lowes for $6. It effectively keeps the curious twins out.


The post Wall Office with Akurum Kitchen cabinets and Pax sliding doors appeared first on IKEA Hackers.







via IKEA Hackers http://ift.tt/1FpnqlY From Arctic Surf Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment