Friday, July 17, 2015

Living in the Moment + Best of the Web By: Grace Bonney

fairynuffflower
This week was a blur for me, but there were a few moments that are delightfully clear and in focus for me. The first of which was leaving my purse on a United Airlines flight and with it, all of my credit cards, IDs and voice recorder for the interview I traveled home for. The purse is now lost in the ether and I’ve started the process of replacing my IDs and cards, but that one frustrating moment led to such wonderful moments of clarity this week that wouldn’t have come without losing everything I thought I needed.

On Monday I headed into NYC to join Sasha for another round of portraits for our new book and then headed to Newark for a flight home to Virginia Beach. The plan was to drive the six hours to Blacksburg, VA with my father, who is an excellent photographer, to take the portrait of one of my idols, poet Nikki Giovanni.

Losing my interview recorder, chargers, cards and IDs meant I was totally unconnected. I panicked at first and then realized a) how lucky I was to be at home with family when this happened and b) how this had given me a chance to totally unplug and fully live in a moment that was truly once-in-a-lifetime.

The result was a day that was as perfect as it could have been. A great long drive through the Shenandoah Valley with my Dad, 10+ hours to catch up in person, meeting someone I’ve admired for as long as I can remember, and getting to have a fun ride home, stopping by Swannanoa and our favorite college dinner spot, Pierce’s BBQ. None of it was Instagrammed and I got the pleasure of unplugging and truly soaking in the moment, rather than mentally preparing for the next thing on my to-do list. So, in a way, the worst moment turned into the best and I am so thankful for that reminder this week (and for my parents). It’s inspired me to unplug a bit this week and see how much I’ve been missing when lost behind the screen of a phone or planning the next thing instead of enjoying the first. Best wishes for a safe and happy weekend, everyone, and we’ll see you on Monday! xo, grace

Image above by Fairynuffflower on Instagram

bestofweb717

bestofds717












via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1OcdZKo From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment