Tuesday, July 14, 2015

BH&G Get the look: Colorful Interior Doors From Rachel Shingleton

Today's Inspiration comes from Better Homes and Garden's Style Spotters Rachel Shingleton.

BHG Modern Red Front Door

(source – BHG)

I’m deep in the throes of redesigning my entryway (along with a few other spaces that flow from here), and the one thing I really want to do is repaint our front door to provide a pop of color for the interior. For now the exterior face of the door will remain black, but I’m envisioning something really fun to add that last little bit of visual interest and personality to the interior. After all, if an entryway is the first thing that sets the tone for anyone coming into the house, shouldn’t the last thing they see before leaving be as interesting?

The internet is full of inspiration for colorful front doors, both inside and out. Here are a few of my favorites to help you get that visual punch.

Bright Bazaar

source

An acidic citrus color is made all the more interesting with the additional red detailing. It remains the focal point for the space with the all-neutral interiors.

Navy Closet door

source

A classic navy is maybe my favorite neutral of all. Every color looks good with navy and it can be serious as well as playful and preppy.

Palm Springs Pink Door - Studio DIY

source

For the brave, this chalky pink door made famous in Palm Springs is glamorous and cheeky. A girlfriend of mine has loads of this color all through her house and when I asked her how she gets away with it (she’s got a manly man husband), she said simply with a shrug, “He’s colorblind.” Hehe

Jenny Komenda Interiors

source

Another citrus yellow door with classic trim – almost feels a little Hollywood Regency/vintage Kelly Wearstler, doesn’t it?

carlton landing coral door

This coral door photographed a little more red than it really is (above); I shot it at our lake house community and it makes me stop and look every time I pass by. It contrasts so beautifully with the grayed-down blue of the home exterior.

LGN

source

My overall goal for our entryway is for it to feel serene, but with punches of color. I’m researching wallpaper (David Hicks’ hexagon? Cole & Son’s Squiggle) and am planning on a blue and white color scheme with hints of aqua to bring in the aqua accents from the adjacent formal living room. This beautiful mint door from Jenny Komenda’s Little Green Notebook is exactly the same style as my front door. We even have brick flooring too (although ours isn’t painted like hers).

I think it’s back to the drawing board for me, although I’m definitely going to try to get that aqua door past my husband’s approval. What do you think? Could you do a bright interior doorway?

No comments:

Post a Comment