Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Life & Business: Melissa Sonico By: Sabrina Smelko

melissa-Life&Biz

Since graduating in 2012 with a BA and MFA in Fiction from Cal State San Bernardino, Melissa Sonico has been carving her own career path as a freelance writer, lifestyle and fashion blogger, Instagram personality, and, most recently, has launched a line of handmade mixed-material necklaces, made to order. Ever the creative dabbler, her interests are varied and her future, wrought with possibilities (and the much-anticipated welcome of her husband and her’s first baby boy due this fall)! She’s a great example of a modern-day solopreneur and jack of many trades, and we’re thrilled to have her with is today to share some of her insight into the modern community of independent makers, and business insight. –Sabrina

Why did you decide to start your own business?

I’ve always had a penchant for creating—anything from short stories to music to crafts. The best thing, I find, about creating is sharing those creations with others. I currently make and sell my necklaces online and will be opening up a shop space as part of a collective with a few other independent entrepreneurs in my town. I’m super excited for this opportunity to share my creations.

Processed with VSCOcam with j6 preset Processed with VSCOcam with j2 preset

When you first decided to start your own business, how did you define what your business would be?

It happened very organically. I’m a fiction writer and English professor, so it wasn’t something that has always been an end goal. I have a lot of friends who are in the independent/small business game, so it was a real inspiration and opened me up to the idea of sharing my own work with others. Encouragement from friends helped me direct that into selling my pieces and eventually opening up a shop.

 

What was the best piece of business advice you were given when you were starting off?

Really, the best piece of advice is to just find the courage (and a little bit of faith—read: recklessness) to put yourself out there. It’s a gamble for sure, but a rewarding one. Also, toughen up! I’ve learned the necessity of developing a thick skin.

 

What was the most difficult part of starting your business?

I think it’s a bit more daunting than difficult. Getting started is surprisingly easy; it’s just that initial leap that takes a while to work up to. You have this amazing idea, but you’ve got doubts and fears and concerns.

IMG_0520-1

Can you name the biggest lesson you’ve learned in running a business?

Running a business is equal parts timing, savvy, and pure risk-taking. I’ve learned if you really believe in the project, you go for it, and whatever the outcome is at least you gave it your all.

 

Can you name a moment of failure in your business experiences?

I’m not naturally an outgoing person, and I typically shy away from the limelight (ever since I was little). But being in the business that I’m in from social networking/blogging to teaching college English to creating necklaces, I now really have to put myself out there. I wasn’t—and I’m still not—used to that, and all the vulnerability I’m subsequently exposed to because of it. To put it short, I’ve really learned who my friends are in this process and, unfortunately, who they aren’t. I’ve found out that any little bit of success can produce spite and competition, and none of that is for me so I’ve had to streamline my friendships.

 

What has been the biggest sacrifice you’ve made in starting your business?

I fortunately haven’t needed to sacrifice anything so far. I think the business I’m pursuing is a culmination of things I love, so I haven’t had to give anything up, really. I feel like that’s something that’s essential in order to not get burnt out in any line of work.

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset

Can you name your greatest success in your business experiences?

I’m so lucky to be part of an immensely supportive and inspiring community of makers and creative. Just having their encouragement and help has been integral in my success.

 

What business books/resources (if any)  would you recommend to someone starting a creative business of their own?

It’s not quite a business book, but I think Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers is sort of a guide for success and achievement that definitely applies—but isn’t limited—to business and life, really. Definitely worth the read.

 

If you were magically given 3 more hours per day, what would you do with them?

I would definitely take the time for my fiction writing. It’s been getting pushed aside more and more lately what with teaching and my business endeavors. Also, going on walks with my husband!

 

What’s the first app, website or thing you open/do in the morning?

Instagram is usually the first thing I check in the morning. That, and emails. I’m pretty good at staying on top of emails before they start to pile up.

 

What’s the hardest thing about being your own boss that isn’t obvious?

I think my main problem is procrastination. I tend to work best down to the wire, so even if I have plenty of time to handle something, I’ll convince myself I need to finish reading the book I’m almost done with or straighten the kitchen or tackle a load of laundry instead of taking care of business.

 

Has failing at something or quitting ever lead to success for you? Walk us through that.

There are always hiccups in the process that will lead to something unexpected that might be better than what was originally planned. I welcome the unexpected, and sometimes setbacks aren’t really going to set you back; they end up changing course to something even better!

 

In your opinion, what are the top three things someone should consider before starting their own business?

I think these might apply for any job or endeavor:

1) Consider whether or not you won’t get tired of it. If it doesn’t seem like work but you can get paid for it, DO IT. That means you really love it.

2) A support network is vital. Your family, friends, peers; having people behind you and cheering you on is so so important.

3) Don’t be afraid to take risks or fail. Almost always, these things are what make you stronger in the end.












via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1LUJ3jX From Sabrina Smelko

No comments:

Post a Comment