Thursday, July 9, 2015

D*S Team Tours: Lauren’s Prewar Apartment in Des Moines, IA By: Lauren Chorpening

D*S Team Tours: Lauren’s Prewar Apartment in Des Moines, IA

A little while ago, Grace asked the whole Design*Sponge team if we’d be up for doing home tours of our own places. I was so excited and then immediately was overwhelmed with a list of things I needed to do to get ready. Some of the things on the list were essentials – clean, finish started projects, and figure out what angles to shoot. Some were not essentials, like buying and rewiring a new dining room light fixture and hopefully finding the perfect coffee table that I’ve been in search of for years now. I didn’t finish everything on my list before shooting, but I did get a better understanding of the process that I’m asking of our featured homeowners and why they respond, “I’m so nervous and excited,” right before their home tour goes live. I feel you. Getting to show my home here on D*S is an honor. Even though it’s not ready and I could list a dozen new things I still want to do to it. That’s the great thing about Design*Sponge – we showcase real homes.

I moved into my 1915 brick apartment building two years ago. It’s located in a historic neighborhood in Downtown Des Moines called Sherman Hill and it is a beautiful area. I am so thankful for the thick wood trim and amazing natural light in my home. I’m a furniture and paint junkie, so I got to work right away, trying to make my home feel simple and beautiful while being on a very real budget. I rearrange and restyle more than I really want to say, but it is one of the most calming, endorphin-inducing things to me. I love seeing spaces change and improve and I love that I can make that a reality with my home whenever I need to feel inspired.

My home is filled with Craigslist redesigns, hand-built pieces and a few items I saved up for. I like styled objects but I don’t like clutter and I love an empty wall as much as I love a gallery. It’s not done, but I like that I get to continue to reimagine what my home could be some day. And I’m thankful for the home it is right now. —Lauren

Photography by Austin Day












via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1NRqFpG From Lauren Chorpening

No comments:

Post a Comment