Wednesday, May 27, 2015

National Stationary Show: Ferme À Papier By: Emma Tuccillo

National Stationary Show: Ferme À Papier

There are many elements of my personal style that can be traced in a straight line back to my time spent in Paris. From stripes, to luxe linens, to crown moulding, these design details have sunk themselves deep into my life and ethos. My francophile affinity was well matched when I met Cat Seto of Ferme À Papier at the National Stationery Show this year, a San Francisco based design studio. It was her time in Paris two years ago that gave impetus to her company, whose literal translation is Farm to Paper. Days spent watching “parisian hipsters” and visiting biodynamic farms in the countryside carries through in all of her work today. Upon walking around her dark navy booth, I was taken with the mix of styles she uses — abstract landscapes blended with gold foil typography, gestural illustrations of sweet couples in love, and hand drawn marble patterns that she said took forever to make.

For this year’s collection, Cat drew inspiration from the golden ratio, hoping to create “harmony and balance” in her designs. Although very modern in aesthetic, this ratio can be seen in the work of countless artists from Leonardo Da Vinci to Salvador Dali. I found these golden elements to be beautiful and compelling, mixing mathematical lines with the fluid shapes of nature.

In the end, I found myself lingering at the Ferme À Papier booth for far too long, sharing stories about hot french baguettes and romantic side streets. The following 10 images capture the feeling I had after leaving Cat’s booth, a dreamy wanderlust for a time stood still in a classic french parlor, stripes and all. X, Emma

Photography by Emma Tuccillo










via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1AtyMY7 From Emma Tuccillo

No comments:

Post a Comment