Monday, May 18, 2015

Bringing Home the Flower Power of Dior and I By: Garrett Fleming

Bringing Home the Flower Power of <em>Dior and I</em>

Nearly three years ago, amidst skepticism and intrigue, Raf Simons became Creative Director of one of the last remaining couture houses in the world. His earlier minimalist work meant he was far from the obvious choice to take the reigns of  the opulence and grandeur that is The House of Dior. All reservations vanished with his debut collection, however, as he sent his models walking through a patina’d Parisian mansion dripping in wall-to-ceiling flowers of every variety.

The development of his work was captured and seen for the first time this year in the highly-aniticipated documentary, Dior and I. In on one of my favorite cinematic moments of the year, we see Raf cry backstage as he watches his collection blossom in front of his eyes. This moment of unabashed happiness coincides with barely-moving shots of women modeling the new collection to summarize the culmination of his labor of love. I’m not too tough to admit that it brought a tear to my eye as well. Simply put, it’s one of the most beautiful pieces of film I have ever seen.

I was so struck by the craftsmanship of these astonishing flower walls, that I’ve rounded up some tips on how to best bring each of the flowers used in Raf’s runway “Salons” to your own home. Some simple, others a bit more complex, this floral how-to truly is for gardeners of every level. I wouldn’t say I have the least bit of a green thumb, so trust that these tips are aimed at making it as easy as possible to get a taste of Raf’s aromatic vision. Enjoy and be sure to check out the film stat. I couldn’t recommend it more. —Garrett










via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1LdJWkC From Garrett Fleming

No comments:

Post a Comment