Tuesday, May 19, 2015

BH&G Get the look: Colorful Trim From Rachel Shingleton

Today's Inspiration comes from Better Homes and Garden's Style Spotters Rachel Shingleton.

Are you a fan of painted trim? In my own home, I lean towards a crisp white finish on our baseboards and crown molding. But I’ve been pinning loads of images lately of woodwork and I have to say, colorful trim is definitely growing on me. I stumbled on photographer Gray Malin‘s studio tour the other day, and I couldn’t take my eyes off of that navy trim. Against the cool white walls, it’s so crisp and nautical. And in a perfect color pairing, they’ve accented the entire space with loads of coral accents (that border on the window treatments is divine!).

Gray Malin office

Gray Malin

So then I fell down the rabbit hole of researching painted trim. In my mind, it feels like a greater risk to invest in painted woodwork, but the more I think about it, I realize that it’s definitely not for the faint of heart. This is a style statement for the home owner who isn’t afraid to experiment.

If you’re wanting to go bold and chic, black trim reads modern, confident, and slightly masculine. White walls sharply contrast and show off every single angle to its best advantage. Fixtures in brass or shiny chrome can really pop in these interiors and provide the perfect “jewelry” to keep it from falling flat.

Black trim

source

Black trim

source

The pistachio green built-in below adds unexpected whimsy to this banquette space. WIth the rest of the built-ins a calming white, it really allows this piece to be the star of the show.

---

source

Mint window frames and doorways bring a certain vintage charm.

---

source

In the “go big or go home” category are these two rooms that feature floor to ceiling monochromatic looks. Love navy? Then you’ll love this deliciously preppy living room. Every single surface is coated in color, from the crown moulding to the wainscoting.

Sherwin Williams

source

But if you’re feeling really bold, you’ll love this vibrant orange lacquered entryway. Chinoiserie fretwork, ceramic dogs, and a perfect curvy bench bring high glamour to the forefront.

orange lacquer

But that being said, if you’re not ready to take the leap into full-on tangerine, then maybe just in small doses, like in this boy’s bedroom below.

orange windows

source

Check out how this designer contrasted the two rooms next to each other below. The far room features white coffered ceilings and window frames agains the silvery blue walls. But the next room whimsically carries on the same theme, but in reverse. It’s subtle, chic, and serene.

silvery blue trim

source

But maybe my favorite of all of these spaces is this bright and sunny yellow window. I imagine that even on a dreary winter day, your view would be framed with cheer, don’t you think?

yellow trim

source

Are you ready to commit to painted trim? I think I’ll stick with white for now – at least until I can convince my husband to let me lacquer the entryway a gorgeous brilliant orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment