Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Velvet Ribbons in Saint-Etienne By: Grace Bonney

Velvet Ribbons at Musée d'Art et d'Industrie de Saint-Etienne

Yesterday I talked about how the internet is full of some truly wonderful people and last night that was reaffirmed when I got an email from one of my favorite online friends, Neal of Present & Correct. Knowing my obsession with ribbons (I made them both the theme of this website and our book), Neal sent me a link to what basically became my new favorite place in the world, The Velvet Ribbon digital archive at the Musée d’Art et d’Industrie de Saint-Etienne.


Velvet Ribbons at Musée d'Art et d'Industrie de Saint-Etienne

Velvet Ribbons at Musée d'Art et d'Industrie de Saint-Etienne

For me, ribbons represent all the things I love about textiles, in one tiny piece. They are bite-sized bits of texture, color and pattern and they adorn everything from upholstery and clothing to treasured books and even people themselves. The Musée d’Art et d’Industrie de Saint-Etienne’s collection is full of the sort of detail that I love and is a wonderful reminder of how far some current trends can be traced back through history. All those geometric prints in pink and black? Yep, those have been happening over and over throughout time. I truly relish a chance to look through archives like this (if only I could teleport there to see them them in person!), so I wanted to share them here today, too. I hope they’ll bring the sort of sheer joy and happiness to your day that they brought to mine. Thanks so much to Neal for sending these over. xo, grace


*All images from the the Musée d’Art et d’Industrie de Saint-Etienne


Velvet Ribbons at Musée d'Art et d'Industrie de Saint-Etienne 8 9 Velvet Ribbons at Musée d'Art et d'Industrie de Saint-Etienne Velvet Ribbons at Musée d'Art et d'Industrie de Saint-Etienne

Click through for more historic ribbon samples after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1rfsSzj From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment