Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What Is Your Biggest Buyer’s Remorse? By: Grace Bonney

buyersremorse


We’ve been asking a lot of BIG QUESTIONS lately, like what your dirtiest (literally) housekeeping secret is and what your childhood bedroom looked like. But today we’re tackling a more serious topic: buyer’s remorse. Buyer’s remorse is defined as, “the sense of regret after having made a purchase. It may stem from fear of making the wrong choice, guilt over extravagance, or a suspicion of having been overly influenced by the seller.” It’s not a feeling any of us want to have, but it’s one we’ve all felt at one time or another. Maybe you bought a new pillow you didn’t need or splurged on a piece of furniture that you later found for a lower price elsewhere? No matter the item, the feeling stays the same, and it’s one of the reasons we’re focusing on mindful purchases this year. Remorse aside, there’s always a lesson to be learned from decisions like these, so today we’re sharing OUR biggest buyer’s remorse moments and want to hear yours, too.


SHARE YOUR STORY BELOW: What is your biggest buyer’s remorse item and what did you learn from the experience?


Grace: Last month, Julia and I bought our first (used) car together. The experience was incredibly frustrating – we had to call the dealership’s corporate number and file a BBB complaint at the end of the day – but I felt such a need to just get what we wanted and get out of the store that I still regret not standing up for myself and walking out without making the purchase. I got so excited about finally having a little car of our own that I let that urgency and desire cloud my judgment, causing me to not have the patience and resolve that may have ended with us finding a better dealership that would have respected us, and our purchase, more. In the end I’ve learned – just like when I’m at the grocery store – to never shop hungry. Not only did the salespeople see us coming from a mile away, but I let my eagerness outweigh my desire to have a pleasant and professional transaction happen. Lesson learned, I’m never buying anything on my first visit unless I feel treated well.


Amy: I’m pretty careful with my home and clothing purchases. I do have the odd dress that I don’t wear but I really do try to spend money on experiences rather than things. I’m a big fan of yoga and a couple of years ago, I started reading about Ayurveda and got interested in the whole philosophy. So I did some googling and scheduled an appointment with an Ayurvedic doctor. The appointment was a little expensive but I felt like my health was worth it so even though I was on a strict budget at the time, I splurged on the appointment. I was a little underwhelmed by the advice and then for some reason, at the end of the appointment, after the doctor wrote out an eating plan, she brought out the supplements that I should take and I bought all of them! I have no idea what possessed me to spend eighty dollars on Indian herbal supplements after spending money on an appointment! Even as I was pulling out my card, I knew that I was going to regret it. I ended up feeling too nervous about the strange supplements to even break the seal (AND I waited too long to even take them back). The whole experience, of my healing appointment, turning into a sales pitch) turned me off of Ayurveda – which is a little bit of a bummer.




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/Tw6hEw From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment