Monday, July 28, 2014

Under eaves storage TARVA hack By: Jules IKEAHacker

tarva cab8


Materials: 2 x TARVA chest of 5 drawers


OK so I needed some clothes storage in my new attic room but I didn’t want a wardrobe at an odd angle following the roof line and also I didn’t want to lose any valuable floor area. I thought I would build two chest of drawers underneath the purlin and run a clothes rail between after seeing similar on here and Pinterest.


The main issue was the purlin was reasonably low so I knocked the stud wall down and brought the two hacked TARVA’s forward 25cm from the purlin, this is half the width of your average clothes hanger (due to the purlin being the lowest point to hang the rail). I only had 94cm height for the drawers so I cut down the TARVA by sawing off 11.7cm off the top to remove the smaller fifth drawer and screwed it back together.


tarva cab1

tarva cab2

tarva cab3

tarva cab4

tarva cab5

tarva cab6


tarva cab7


I then fitted the chest of drawers underneath the purlin, measured each of the 4 corners and cut the drawers legs exactly so they were wedged in position tight and along with the serious screws through the TARVA top into the purlin, they are never going anywhere!


I then had another idea, I had intended installing a plasterboard surround at the top to create a more fitted look but it was going to be dead space so I ran some pine furniture board across the top for a book case/ storage area, made a pine surround for the wardrobe section, bolted the clothes rail to the purlin and make some doors out of more furniture board (all cut by Arnold Laver for free). Used Ronseal interior wax Rustic pine – its more like stain but did the job.


3 + 4: Tarva x 2 = £180 + £150 of Pine Furniture board


~ Timo







via IKEA Hackers http://ift.tt/1nRdwCC From Jules IKEAHacker

No comments:

Post a Comment