Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Home Full of Creativity and DIY Design By: Grace Bonney

A Home Full of Creativity and DIY Design


Back when I first moved to Brooklyn, one of the first buildings I used to drive by frequently was David Stark’s incredible Carroll Gardens studio. I was a huge fan of David’s work and event design imagination, and it wasn’t until 2010 when I got to know him and his team more closely. Since then I have been a devoted fan of all of their work and their endless creativity. So when we got the chance to peek inside the home of his Special Projects Designer, Corrie Beth Hogg, I was overwhelmed with excitement.


Corrie shares her apartment in Prospect Lefferts Gardens with her boyfriend, artist Ryan Magyar. Originally from South Mississippi, Corrie moved to New York in 2001 where she began making paintings and collages. She has been working with David Stark for the past 11 years and the creativity she and Ryan bring to this space is reflected in every room and in every nuance. I love how many handmade details are in their home, from paper mache trays to paper trees and owls. Each piece in their home has a story, but manages to work together, rather than feeling cluttered. “I am changing things all the time,” Corrie says. “Things are rotating room to room as well. If I find or make something new, I pass along the old piece. I don’t think it will ever be ‘done’ and I don’t want it to be. Change is good (and fun), plus our tastes evolve or we get tired of things. I can’t sit still for long, so I am also always finding places that need a change or a handmade or DIY something.” I so admire her can-do spirit (she watched YouTube videos to learn how to change her own light fixtures) and I am so happy to share it here today. Thanks to Ryan and Corrie for sharing these photos and this space with us. xo, grace




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1DMNvhX From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment