Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Surtex 2014: Where Patterns Rule By: Grace Bonney

dssurtex2014

Over the past few years there’s been a noticeable change in the pattern trade show world. For years I would go from booth to booth explaining who I was, what I do and handing out business cards in hopes that someone would let me feature their work on Design*Sponge. But as pattern copying, especially with larger brands, became a bigger issue, artists became more and more protective of their work. While I completely understood their stance, it was sad to stroll through rows of beautiful patterns and talented artists and not be able to showcase their work in some way. But at this year’s show there was a palpable change. Rather than 2-3 booths like most years, this year’s show offered up handfuls of great artists that were more than happy to share their work online and had found a way to keep some work private while still getting their work, name and style online to spread the word. That meant that I was able to come home and collect cards and images from some very talented designers and I’m so thrilled to share them here today. From the bright abstract work of Ashley G to the playful pattern designs of Bikini sous la Pluie, this year’s show was an absolute delight. I hope you’ll enjoy my favorites and keep an eye out for them in the coming months and next year- I have a feeling we’ll see these patterns pop up on some beautiful home and fashion designs. xo, grace


KV_9 KV_8 KV_3 KV_2 Pattern by Bikini sous la Pluie Pattern by Bikini sous la Pluie gabyandco_abstract_mustard_pattern_design gabyandco_abstract_pattern_design gneural-dc_img-1008 gneural-dc_img-1209 gneural-dc_img-1210 gneural-dc_img-1607 gneural-dc_img-1800 thickstripes913v2opacity21 KV_11

Click through for the full post after the jump!


(more…)




















via Design*Sponge http://ift.tt/1rLvV7L From Grace Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment